Thursday, March 3, 2011

Home for the Holidays

This week we welcome another talented guest star to Jingle Belles ... Rose from Rose's Happy Place. In addition to being a Jingle Belles regular, Rose is also a member of the Design Teams for both 365 Cards & Simply Create ... and on an awesome side note, the first year of the 365 Cards Challenge Blog (when Rose wasn't on the DT), she did the challenge EVERY SINGLE DAY and had 365 cards at the end of the year! How awesome is that?!

Rose was singing along to Home for the Holidays when memories of home, as well as a holiday card idea, popped into her mind, and luckily for us, she wrote in* to suggest it! Here are some of those holiday song lyrics to inspire you:

Oh, there’s no place like home for the holidays,
‘Cause no matter how far away you roam,
When you pine for the sunshine of a friendly gaze,
For the holidays, you can’t beat home, sweet home.

I met a man who lives in Tennessee,
He was headin’ for,
Pennsylvania, and some home made pumpkin pie.
From Pennsylvania, folks are travelin’
Down to Dixie’s sunny shore,
From Atlantic to Pacific,
Gee, the traffic is terrific.

Take a bus, take a train
Go and hop an aeroplane
Put the wife and kiddies in the family car
For the pleasure that you bring
When you make that doorbell ring
No trip could be too far

So this week, we're asking you to make a card that is inspired by your Home for the Holidays ... it might be your childhood home, your current home, or your home-away-from-home.


Rose says, "For some strange reason I keep having Christmas songs on the brain. lol So the other day when "Home for the Holidays" popped in, I started thinking of my "home" and how much I miss it. I lived in the southern Nevada desert for 40 years and grew up spending all day playing out in the desert, hunting horny toads, lizards, and admiring all the variety of plants and rocks. I sure miss all the beauty of the desert and the smell after the rain is heavenly. So for my card it is only fitting to have a desert cactus that reminds me of home."



Stef says, "When I thought about my favorite holiday memories from home, the first thing that came to mind was all of the laughter. Our family prides itself in jokes and funny stories, with everyone trying to outdo the next person. Each holiday there is always some running joke that takes on a life of its own. So I know it's a bit wacky (but hey, my family is a bit wacky), but this Trio of Jokers by Magenta reminds me of home ... where making merry is always the focus of the holidays."



Lauren says, "one of my very favorite holiday memories from childhood is of my dad reading clement c. moore's, 'the night before christmas' to us every christmas eve. i am always on the lookout for vintage copies of that poem; the nice ones i collect as books, the damaged ones i use in cards and collages. this illustration was the frontispiece from a very beautiful and sadly completely ruined edition. i'd been saving it for just the right thing, and finally, thanks to rose i found it!"

And after Rose's fabulous desert-themed card, I couldn't resist pulling out this hilarious photo of Lauren & I with our Christmas cactus.








So have fun reminiscing about home...and turn those memories into a great holiday card! Link up here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, February 9th. Codeword for SCS or flickr is JB10. We can't wait to see what you will do!

*We are always on the lookout for great themes for our weekly prompts, and thrilled to have lovely guest stars! If you'd like to join in, email us at jinglebellesrock @ hotmail [dot] com. If we use your idea, we'll invite you along to help us host that week. It's definitely a lot of fun, so what are you waiting for?!

13 comments:

Rose said...

LOL that photo of you two is priceless to this desert rat!!! :)

thanks for having me as your guest star and you two made awesome cards!!!

can't wait to see what all the players create :)

Lisa - papergrace said...

Love this!! And Rose's card?! OMG! A fellow desert rat?! Wooooo! Will have to put on my thinking cap to see what I can come up with.

Alli said...

Ladies your cards are so fun!
Oh Lauren, another book collector!
I too scull the aisles of 2nd hand book shoppes for unique paper play fodder!
LOVE the card you made with your find!
Oh I am SO inspired!
Thank you Rose, Stephanie & Lauren!

Lisa said...

Awesome challenge this week(well, they're awesome every week!). Christmas was a very special time for me growing up and I have so many wonderful memories. Now to go through my stuff and come up with something.

Great cards ladies, such wonderful inspiration!

Tyggereye said...

That photo is hilarious. I love the cards you guys made! Great prompt. Gotta think, gotta think :)

Leslie Hanna said...

Fun fun! I already have an idea, too. Sweet. Nice job, Rose!

Amanda Profumo said...

Love the challenge this week and the cards are awesome!
I laughed out loud when I saw the "amigas playing in the dessert!" Thanks for including that... still giggling...

lauren bergold said...

ok, miss stef ♥YA GOT ME♥ that time!!! belles, i am as surprised--and delighted--as you are to see that "mariachi" photo!!! what a great way to start off *FRIDAY*! :) :) :) :) :)

~* steph :) *~ said...

awesome challenge! had a lot of fun! beautiful creations gals. *hugs* steph :)

Adora Concepcion said...

great challenge!! i can this, now that i got my winnings from the last 2 challenge. Thanks JBR!
Awesom cards by the way!

Beverly G said...

You 2 have such fun personalities and it comes through to us at this fun challenge.

myself said...

omgosh! made it at the absolute LAST second! woohoo... now to find my sketch card so i can post that and be totally caught up! great job ladies!

Lorraine said...

Your sample cards always knock my socks off. What great inspiration you all are. Great challenge this week. Loved playing along.